Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Wherever I may roam, where I lay my head is home

Just a quick post for the moment, as internet usage is sort of expensive where I am (Arrowtown), and I don't have all that much to report after all.

I currently find myself in a weird in-between phase of my travels, where I seem to be drifting, more or less. I will admit that it is a situation I have created for myself...unnecessarily, for the most part. After I left Wanaka, I had the idea that I wanted to see Queenstown for at least a day, but I somehow got it in my head that I should splurge for a single rather than a dorm, where drunken revelers would no doubt be stumbling in at all hours of the night. So I booked way in advance for a single for this Friday. In the meantime, though, I was scratching my head trying to think of nearby places to go. I decided to rule out any long hikes due to the condition of my boots, so instead I've basically been criscrossing the central Otago goldfields, visiting small towns along the way. I've stopped by Alexandra, Clyde, Glenorchy, Kinloch, and Arrowtown. Never heard of them before? Probably because there isn't a whole lot going on in either of them.

In retrospect, I realize that a lot of the decisions I made were based on faulty reasoning. Queenstown, despite all the hype and craziness, is still just another town, and I should have just stopped by for a night when it was convenient. And even if I decided to keep my Friday booking, I should have treated myself to a decent-sized hike in the meantime, if for no other reason than to provide cheap entertainment for a few days.

So, as you can probably tell, I am a bit frustrated with myself for ending up in this position. Despite the fact that I will be in NZ for a total of almost 3 months, I still feel like my time here is precious, and that I haven't been making the greatest use of it as of late. BUT...I realize that everybody makes mistakes, and that, being inexperienced as a long-term traveler, I am certainly due my share of them. I hope to be able to learn from this week and treat it as a lesson...to live every week to the fullest.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, of course. After I leave Queenstown, I'm heading back to Dunedin for a couple days to catch up with Hanne and pick up a pair of back-up boots (the sturdier leather kind) that my mom sent to me (thanks, Mom!). After Dunedin, I'm heading to Te Anau to start my Fiordland adventuring, which I've been looking forward to for some time. Late next week I will be doing a 3-day guided kayak trip through the Doubtful Sound, which I think will be awesome. My hopes are boosted by a glowing report from Hopie of her recent kayaking experience in the Abel Tasman National Park.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have the chance to update again once I get to Dunedin. In the meantime, notes of encouragement are appreciated! Catch you all on the flipside...