Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Journey to The End of The Earth

I decided long ago that I was going to make a trip to Stewart Island, the third island of NZ, just across the Fouveax Strait from Invercargill. It is unquestionably one of the more remote spots in NZ, and it features some of the most diverse and unspoiled plant and animal life in the country. The only question I had: which track to hike?
There are two main tracks on the island, and they couldn't be more different in character. Most people hike the 3-day Rakiura Track, which is serviced by relatively modern Great Walk huts and is lined with boardwalks to avoid most of the mud for which Stewart Island is famous. On the other hand, there is the 8-to-10-day Northwest Circuit Track, which covers a good chunk of the island's coast and is known as the muddiest track in New Zealand. It also reportedly has some of the best scenery.
Here's a basic map of Stewart Island. The Northwest Circuit follows the coast from Oban North to Mt. Anglem, then West towards the Rugged Islands, then South to the end of Mason bay, and finally cuts across the mainland back to Oban:

Well, yesterday, after an inspiring discussion with a Stewart Island tramper from Ohio, I made the decision to hike the Northwest Circuit. Am I crazy to do this? Maybe. Will I get my ass kicked by the mud and the muck? Probably. Will I even be enjoying myself by the 8th day? Well, I hope so. At the very least, will I feel a sense of accomplishment after completing the track? Definitely.
Anyways, odds are that I won't have internet access until I get back to Invercargill, so the blog will probably be silent for at least 10 days. In the meantime, send me some good vibes all the way accross the Pacific to Stewart Island! God knows I'll need them.