Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Saturday, February 12, 2005

The Catlins Top Track

February 12, 2005

After leaving The Falls Backpackers in Owaka, I set of to Papatowai to start the Catlins Top Track. It is unique in that it is a privately owned and operated track that passes through private land, so it's a slightly different experience than a typical DOC (Department of Conservation) track through a national park. It is described as the longest and most varied track in the Catlins, so I figured it would be a good way to get a feel for the natural beauty of the area.
The track started along a 3 km beach, which was incredibly peaceful. Actually, for the entire first day of the track (it's 2 days long) I didn't see another person anywhere. Here's a pic showing the beach and the rocky outcroppings I traversed later:

On the other side of the cliffs shown above, I came across another beach with an ocean-worn rock formation that jutted out into the ocean. This is where I had lunch for the day:

After lunch, I continued through sections of farmland, regenerating bush, and rolling hills. Eventually reached the place where I would be spending the night: the "Top Bus." The Top Bus is actually a 1960s-era Dunedin city trolley that the operators of the CTT hauled up on one of the cliffs and converted into a cabin, complete with bunks, cooking facilities, a writing desk with a small library, and even a primitive shower:

At night, all I could hear was the sound of the wind (which was howling). I took in the sunset (which was marred somewhat by clouds) and wrote in my journal for the rest of the night:


The second day, unfortunately, was shorter and not as memorable as the first, but I had a great time nonetheless!