Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Beervercargill

As I mentioned in a previous post, I randomly bumped into Kate (Wash U '04) on the streets of Invercargill yesterday. I recognized her face instantly, but I couldn't remember how I knew her. Turns out that it was a pretty random connection: Kate lived on the same dorm floor as Laura, my ex-girlfriend, when I was a sophomore. I suppose it's amazing that we even recognized each other.

Anyways, Kate, her friend Maggie, and I went to a bar called "The Frog and Firkin" last night to celebrate our random encounter. We all made efforts to expand our repertoire of NZ beers: I had Export Gold for the first time, and they gave Lion Red a try. A good beer was had by all.

For some reason, the conversation eventually turned to scary stories. Kate told a brief but creepy story about a girl who hiked the Appalachian Trail and, as she was shuffling through the photos she had taken after the hike, she came accross 3 photos she didn't recognize. One of them was of her tent, the second one was also of her tent (but closer), and the third was of her sleeping in the tent. Yowza. I'm not sure if the story is actually true or not, but it's creepy nonetheless. If Stuart Lim is reading this post, he will be happy to learn that I told his famous (and true) "helloooooo" story. I think Kate and Maggie found it pretty scary. Later on, I was talking about my experiences camping alone in the Ozarks and in the Top Bus, and I tried to persuade them to give solo camping a try, but after all the scary stories we told, I don't expect them to follow through.