Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Monday, January 31, 2005

Warrent of fitness? I'll warrant YOUR fitness!

Today was my day to do some errand running and take care of some tasks that I had been putting off for a while. One of these was to get a fresh Warrant of Fitness for Blue Steel. In New Zealand you have to take cars above a certain age to a government-approved inspection station to be inspected every 6 months. I suppose they have this requirement so people aren't driving around in deathtraps that could explode at any minute, taking an entire city block with them.

Anyways, the inspector apparently did not appreciate the might of Blue Steel as much as I do, because he failed it on the first try. One of the parking lights didn't work, and there was an exhaust leak as well. So they gave me the address of a local auto shop, and I went off to get the requisite repairs. And since the oil hadn't been changed in a coon's age, I threw in an oil change, too. It all came to about $90 NZ. Although I certainly respect Blue Steel and want to make sure that he is well-maintained, I have decided to put my foot down and declare that this is the last bit of money (besides gas) that I will ever spend on this vehicle. The last thing I need right now is a money pit car.

After I got the repairs, I took Blue Steel back to the inspection station, got rubber stamped, and was on my way. Now I suppose I'm good to go for the next 6 months, barring any major breakdowns (knock on wood).

Anyways, tomorrow I'll be off on a day trip to Akaroa. Hope to update again soon.