Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Pilgrim's Progress, Part II

224 km down, 491 to go!

Yesterday I made it to Lillehammer, pretty much my last stop on the shores of Lake Mjøsa. It's a nice little town, and of course you can still see the remnants of the '94 Winter Olympics everywhere. Sometimes you get the impression that they're still riding that one for all it's worth: "Visit Lillehammer, a really exciting place to be 11 years ago!"

Not too much to report, really, although the situation with my feet has improved considerably. With foot pain less of an issue, I think I'm really starting to hit my stride.

Oh, and one more thing before I go. I think I mentioned a few posts back that Switzerland was the most expensive country ever. I'd like to make a correction: Switzerland can't even hold a candle to Norway in terms of sheer unaffordability. Example: I took a 3.5 km cab ride back in Hamar, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the meter at the end. 120 kroner, folks. For those not up on their exchange rates, that's almost twenty American dollars. Let me repeat that. Twenty dollars. For a 4-minute cab ride. Christ on toast, that's expensive! I've been trying to think of all the countries that could potentially be even more expensive than Norway, and all I can come up with are Iceland and Japan. But I think the chances are good that Norway is actually the most expensive country on the face of the globe.

Alright, gripe over. Time to start walking again!