Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Marrakesh Express

Alright, just a quick post here because I only have a few moments of internet left and it's really slow. I've actually been in Marrakesh, Morocco for the past two days, and all I can say is: HO...LY...SHIT. I have never seen anything like this in my life. This place is so ridiculously different from anything I have ever seen in the USA, Europe, or anywhere else, for that matter.

Ava (the girl I've been traveling with) and I have been staying in the ancient Medina, the walled "old part" of town. It's so incredible...the roads go in a million directions and wind all over the place, so it's impossible to go anywhere without getting to a little adventure. And there's adventure EVERYWHERE. No matter where you turn, you're confronted with new sights, sounds, and especially smells. We've been learning how to haggle with shopkeepers and fend off the hustlers on the street. We've tried so many new foods and seen so many amazing sights. The past few days have been a bit of a blur and I'm not exactly sure how I ended up here, but I am SO GLAD I did.

As a little sidenote, let me tell you about one of my favorite things about Morocco so far. Anyone who knows me well will definitely agree that I'm bit of an orange juice connoisseur. Well, in Marrakesh's Jamaa el Fna (the Medina's main square) you can get a glass of delicious, fresh-squeezed OJ (they slice and squeeze the oranges right in front of your face) for the bargain basement price of 3 DH (Moroccan dirhams). That's $0.34 USD. At that price, I'll take ten, please.

This is definitely one of those places where words and pictures are just not going to do the actual experience any justice. Maybe it's lame, but I have to say that if you ever want to really get a feel for Morocco, you have to come here for yourself. Trust me, if you are looking for even the slightest taste of adventure, you'll find it here.