Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The pilgrim's pictures

The "glass cathedral" at Hamar. A giant steel/glass "greenhouse" was erected around the ruins of the cathedral to prevent weather damage:


One of the pilegrimsleden waymarks in the middle of a construction site. It was nice of them to leave it standing:

A particularly idyllic Norwegian farm:


Mossy track:


The group of Norwegian Rotarians that fed and rehydrated me:


You might notice that this picture is a slightly crooked and out of focus. That's because I was being chased by 5,000 mosquitos when I took it and couldn't stop to get a clear exposure:


Ringebu stave church. Stave churches are built using an ancient design where wooden pillars are driven straight into the ground, rather than using a typical foundation. I think they are found only in Scandinavia:


The 700 year old pilgrim lodge that I stayed in at Sygard Grytting:


The interior (and exterior) of an old stable that I slept in at Budsjord:


The moors of Dovrefjell:


Allmannrøysa, a big cairn in Dovrefjell:


The tiny village of Ryphusan, where I spent a night in Dovrefjell:

My first view of the Nidaros Cathedral as I descended into Trondheim:


The cathedral from across the river: