Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Random Thoughts on The Netherlands

Nothing earth-shattering to post at the moment, but I've been having some random thoughts about my Netherlands experience that I wanted to get out into the open:

*I had some vla today. "What's vla," you ask? Damned if I know, although it may be a dairy product. I initially came across it at the Albert Heijn grocery store whilst trying to find some decent yogurt to eat (a surprisingly difficult task, for some reason). I asked Anand about it, to which he replied, "I dunno, I never eat the stuff. How could you eat something called 'vla'?" Good question, but my curiosity got the better of me and today I grabbed a carton of vla off the shelf, right next to the equally-mysterious "quark." I am happy to report that vla seems to be edible. I would basically describe it as pudding, but in a thinner in-between phase that makes you wonder whether you should be drinking it, spooning it, or injecting it. Vla tastes pretty good overall. For a moment, I thought I might be able to make my millions by importing it to the States, where it would be voraciously consumed by legions of eager vla-fans (vlans?). This thought was promptly abandoned in light of another of Anand's observations: "I don't think vla would ever be approved by the FDA." Touché.

*From the "ha ha your language sounds funny" file: Today I saw a booth at a street carnival (in honor of Queen's Day, previously mentioned), with a brightly-lit marquee that said "Power Polyp" and "Cash Box" on alternating sides. I have no idea what this meant, especially considering the mystifying usage of the word "polyp." Since I have an overactive imagination, I decided that Power Polyp and Cash Box are a Dutch crime-fighting superhero duo. Criminals beware...or face the awesome fury of the Polyps of Power, and/or be crushed under the suffocating weight of the Cash Box!

*Yesterday I took a day-trip into Leiden. On the train ride back, I noticed some graffiti with an unmistakeable message: "DEAM." I saw it repeated several times. "DEAM DEAM DEAM DEAM." Perhaps I have a long-lost graffiti artist relative? I don't think so. Rather, I believe it was simply an expression of Dutch hospitality.

*I came across another weird sight in Leiden. Resting outside a camping/outdoors store was an exact replica of my backpack, only about five times larger. A large midget would have fit quite nicely in the main compartment. I figure a pack of this size would be useful for two types of people:

  • Those who often tote midgets around on their back for work or leisure
  • Lee Roth

The pack in question:

*For whatever reason, the Dutch seem to be incredibly trendy and fashion-conscious. I've never seen so many knee-high leather boots, sportcoats, and salon-quality hairstyles, and I've never felt like such a damned bum in comparison. Nobody else wears cargo pants or similar backpacker attire. Where are all the unkempt sociopaths and counterculture wierdos? I need these people to provide the suitably low standard by which my own appearance is judged.