Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Monday, December 06, 2004

The Great No-TV Experiment

I think this post would be best introduced with a Simpsons quote:

Homer: No TV and no beer make Homer something something...
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I do! (launches into a homicidal rage)


Looking back on my life, I don't think I've ever had to go more than a week without regular access to a TV. That's all going to change, now that I've sold mine. My big, beautiful boob tube is now in the hands of a fellow Cernerite, and I am about $400 richer. Clearly, I need the money much more than I need the TV (which would have done nothing more than depreciate in my absence), but I'm not sure how the next month and a half in my apartment is going to go. TVs are so deeply ingrained in American culture that I'm not sure I can just quit cold turkey without having withdrawal symptoms.

To give you an idea of what I'm up against, here's a picture of the gaping void left by my erstwhile idiot box:

It will be interesting to see how I react to the total absence of television. Obviously, I had better get used to it, since TV-watching is the last thing I ought to be doing while I'm traveling. At the same time, I want everybody to keep a watchful eye on me, in case I start making smug comments about not owning a TV or other annoying shit like that. If that starts happening, a firm slap in the face would be totally justified.