Universal Traveler

Just a dude with a backpack, a plane ticket, and a nasty case of intercontinental wanderlust.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Sunday, October 17, 2004

The waiting is the hardest part

As of today, I'm just over 3 months away from my flight to New Zealand and the official start of my extended travels. The suspense is killing me! Sure, it's only 3 months, but it's starting to seem like an eternity. So, I'm trying to think of things I can do to make the time pass more quickly. Here are my ideas so far:

  • Immerse myself in a vat of liquid nitrogen; emerge from cryostasis in early January
  • Spend extended periods of time in a meditative state where notions of time and space cease to exist
  • Take up juggling

Unfortunately, there are problems with this list. The first two items present logistical difficulties due to their technical/spiritual complexity. And, to add insult to injury, I already know how to juggle. Shit!

Luckily, I've got one thing going for me: my job. What else could offer 50 hours per week (80 if you're lucky) of consistent time-passing power? Well, sure, I suppose video games, TV, and beer could do that, but would they feature the same vast assortment of free office supplies?

I don't think so.

So, it looks like a long 3 months of waiting is inevitable. I think I'll cheer myself up by treating myself to a fresh pack of Post-It notes and a Bic pen.